Pudge

As far as experimenting goes, the process and results behind Pudge was a lot of fun. From modeling, to simulating, lighting and rendering – it was all a treat.

The project came about with me wanting to try out Otoy’s Octane Render for Cinema4D. I wanted to experiment with something other than geometric shapes, so I decided to go for something more organic and with a bit more weight behind it.

While browsing around online I found everything and nothing to get me started – but then in the corner of my eye I found a sticker that was lying around my desk made by my friends at Shop Around.

shop

While their sticker was an uneven torso meant to be placed on top of other objects, I particularly liked the idea of a detached torso that was a bit, well, pudgy.

I roughed out a model of the torso, then used Cinema4D’s sculpting tools to give it the tiniest bit more form while still maintaining a low poly count and clean topology. Then I unwrapped the geometry to get a nice UV map, and was ready to start the truly fun parts.

I wanted to use Octane’s glossy material paired with an image-based texture that was based on a real photograph – to get a mix of a photoreal and a stylized look. I scoured the internet for weight-loss before and after pictures and found one I liked.

PudgeMaps

 

Then I placed and cleaned the material onto my prepared UV map. After that I generated some specular, bump and displacement maps from the image. By about my third render I had already found a nice look – Octane’s incredible speed allowed for me to tweak a lot of parameters and get nearly instant feedback.

Some softbody and cloth sims later, I had a pudgy torso that was moving and reacting the way I wanted to.

Given Octane’s speed, I was able to make a quick sequence in no time. Seeing as to how I’d shaved off hours (if not days) of rendering, I introduced a scene where cans would be thrown at the Pudge.

The cans were a quick particle setup that combined X-Particles with C4D’s Rigid Body dynamics. The pudge itself was already a soft-body object, with different vertex weight maps I’d generated during tests, so I was able to re-use most of the assets made during R&D to get the cans to play nicely.

 

 

 

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. Pingback: Exxxtra Salty | Motion Sketches

  2. Pingback: Cuisilinear | these things i work on

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: